Bamboo Fishbowl

Friday, October 13, 2006

Let Them Eat Cake....

With the release of Sofia Coppola’s new movie “Marie Antoinette” coming up, I did a little digging on Little Miss Let-Them-Eat-Cake herself. Turns out Marie had a small rural townscape erected on the grounds of the Palace of Versailles. This small “hameau” as it was called included a farmhouse and a functioning dairy. The rustic looking farmhouse was not so rustic….it was actually quite luxurious and the dairy was complete with clean docile cows for the Queen and her attendants to milk. Of course what fun would it be to be playing milkmaid and shepherdesses without a full wardrobe of country peasant clothing?

No wonder most of France hated her…..

Look it up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marie_Antoinette, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petit_hameau

So to recap a few interesting things I have found….Julius Augustus Caesar was a pirate and Marie Antoinette was a milkmaid…. Oh those wacky royals! I wonder what else I am gong to find?

Kimdianna Jones

2 Comments:

Blogger Corinne Simpson said...

If I was supreme ruler of a country, I can't promise I wouldn't command that a small-scale Rivendell and Lothlorien be built just for me on my extensive palace grounds. I mean I'd want to be a good queen, sure, but I'd also want my own Elf Realm. And is cake really such a bad thing? I mean after a good meal and all?

*grin* I'd be a terrible ruler.

7:09 p.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would also recreate many environments to play in. The entire interior of the Enterprise 1701-D. My own theatre, live, not movie. OK, both! Rivendell, Lothlorien and even Helms Deep. I think I would be a great ruler. Think of the employment opportunities those venues would provide!

12:08 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home